Tuesday, February 3, 2009

hello from madeira bay

Well, my employer kindly flew me to Florida (gulf coast, near Tampa) for a week in February, but we have hit a cold spell that is supposed to last until the day I leave. Bummer. I walked on the beach anyway, last night and tonight, in the cold and dark with some work friends.

I have been meaning to take pictures, but there is not enough daylight. I have to leave for work before it's quite light out, and by the time I return I have to race to catch the sunset. I will have to figure out the timing before I leave.

The waves are mesmerizing, even in the cold. There are sea birds and green plants and actual flowers blooming outside.

Tammy and I are reading "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou, published in 1969 (of course!). We can't really assign it to one day but I read a good bit of it on the plane yesterday. It's good, though disturbing, and especially interesting in light of having just read An Interrupted Life which was written at the same time - but what an entirely different world. Yet both women were "caged birds" in their way.

For today, we are writing a note of appreciation to someone we love and sending it snail mail. I had to beg paper and an envelope from the hotel desk, but my note to Bryan is written and now I need to find a stamp - mailing it from Florida would be way cooler than from home. Even if it is almost as cold here as in Salt Lake!

No comments: