Tuesday, March 10, 2009

belated birthday post, misc news



My 40th birthday was cold and clear with snow-capped peaks against crystal blue skies. Tammy and I wound up our 40-day journey with a fabulous home-cooked dinner: grass-fed, free-range steak, asparagus with hollandaise sauce, spring mix salad with sunflower seeds and dried cranberries, and mashed potatoes. It was just us and the men - no kids. After dinner we went to see Bobby McFerrin - definitely entertaining and unique! He incorporated musicians and dancers (university students) and did a lot of improv, which impresses me as I am totally non-improvisational. He uses his voice and body like an instrument - or a whole set of instruments. You kind of have to see it to believe what he can do. My favorite part was the audience singing Gounod's Ave Maria while Bobby sang the entire Bach prelude that goes with it. That, and his one-man re-enactment of the Wizard of Oz - amazing!

Afterwards we went back to Tammy's house for delicious peanut butter cake and presents. Tammy gave me a Harvard Dictionary of Music, which I've been wanting, and overall it was a very happy day. I highly recommend the 40 day celebration - if you're turning 40, this is the way to do it. :-) Over the weekend, Bryan and I had a luxurious overnight away from the kids (thanks to Buzzmeo) and I got to go out to breakfast twice, once with Bryan and once with Tammy and kids. Tammy introduced me to Finn's, which is now possibly my favorite breakfast place - they have incredible Norwegian waffles with lingonberries and sour cream!! Also on Sunday we went to pizza with Buzzmeo and kids. Yup, I milked this birthday for all it was worth - hey, you only turn 40 once!

In related birthday news, my favorite birthday present was a new Acer netbook that Bryan got for me. It's really light and portable, it gives me internet access anywhere, has a webcam for Skype, and I will like having my own machine that is off limits to the kids. :-) The only problem is I stay up too late using it!

In non-birthday news, we had two very happy events: first, I was informed by the Draper police that they have recovered all my neurology stuff! This was good, but I had already bought some replacements that were personalized so I can't return them - so I will have some duplicates. Oh well, the best part is that they have the thief and he is not going anywhere anytime soon. Hooray.

The other event is that my niece, Sarah, is getting married March 26 in LA, and after some discussion, Bryan and I decided that I should go and take Alex to Disneyland the day after the wedding. Wheeeee! I don't know who is more excited, me or Alex, but last night she was dancing in circles singing, "I'm going to Disneyland!" When we told her the news, she said, "I've been wanting to go to Disneyland for HOURS and HOURS and HOURS!" Oh, I can't wait. :-)

No comments: