Monday, April 13, 2009

4-year-old's shopping list, dumb kid jokes

Alex made up her first grocery list the other day. She asked how to spell things, I told her, and she attempted to write them down. The result, with backward/upside down letters and all, was:

hot dogs
crispy cereal
cookies
candy
4T pajamas
Alex cup
sausage
oranges
milk

I have been limiting the amount of hot dogs and sausage we eat, as it isn't really very good for us, and I guess she misses those. I tried to get her to add more fruits and vegetables, but to no avail. :-) But isn't that a cute window into her little mind?

The "Alex cup" refers to a red mug with her name spelled in bright colors. It's been through the dishwasher so much it is fading; thus she wants another one.

She and Sam are on a knock-knock joke kick now. They have the format down, mostly, but they don't really get the hang of the punch line. Here are some samples:

Sam: "Knock knock!"
Me: "Who's there?"
Sam: "Banana"
Me: "Banana who?"
Sam: "Orange! Ha ha ha ha ha!"

Alex: "Knock knock!"
Me: "Who's there?"
Alex: "Stinky socks!"
Me: "Stinky socks who?"
Alex: "Stinky socks wants to eat your cheese! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

Yes, this is my life these days.

Oh yes, one more I thought was cute. When we were on the plane coming back from Disneyland, Alex got a seat where she could see the wing of the plane. She said, "Hey, there's the wing!" and looked at it for a while. We took off and were flying for a few minutes when she asked me, "Mom, why the wings don't flap?"

I thought that was a pretty good question. It would be cool if airplanes' wings did flap like a bird's, I think. Can any engineer-types tell me if that's possible?

No comments: