Thursday, January 18, 2007

just coincidence?

Every so often, in the seemingly random sequence of events that make up life, there come along moments that make you go "Hmmm."

Bryan and I have always made a habit of giving regularly to various causes. It started out as "'tithing" but since then has grown to include trying to respond to various needs that come up around us, and balancing that with trying to help those who seem to need it most.

In the last couple of years we hit new personal records for spending big bucks. There was a new mortgage, a new roof, two international adoptions and a new car to replace my beloved pickup truck (which could not accommodate car seats.) At the same time, our income dropped because I went part time and took 2 unpaid maternity leaves of 3 months each. We incurred some debt, but it should be manageable.

The amount we gave away dropped accordingly. We let it slide for a while. A chunk of the adoption fees went to orphans in Korea (the ones who aren't being adopted), so we rationalized that we had contributed what we could and would re-evaluate in 2007.

Well, this Sunday rolled around and the sermon was on giving, and Bryan and I decided we want to go back to our prior giving percentage. At the same time, I was looking into the costs of child care for a few months while Cameo goes on maternity leave. Turns out our current child care trading system saves us almost $500 per month. Anyway, with the expectation of new child care costs plus loan repayments, etc., I was a little worried about returning to our previous "giving" levels. I figured we would get behind for a few months, but catch up later.

So today I found out I got a raise! It's enough to cover the child care. :-) Just a coincidence?

I don't know, but I recently discovered another worthy cause for my new extra cash. Ten dollars will buy an antimalarial bed net and quite possibly save a life. Malaria isn't in the news a lot, but it's a major killer. Check out www.malarianomore.org or www.nothingbutnets.net.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I don't believe in coincidence :). I'm happy that you got confirmation of your decisions in the financial department. Congrats again on the raise!!!

Cynthia said...

When we were living in Charlotte on less than a military salary (I have no idea how we did that), we did our best to tithe. One Sunday I felt I need to give $50 more than our usual. At the time, that was a lot more for us, I figured that we'd eat sandwiches for dinner a few nights that week. We were already scheduled to go out one night with our Bible study group and another couple later in the week. To our surprise (although it shouldn't have been!), each time our dinner was paid for by one of our friends, "just because they wanted to." And we were invited to another friend's house for dinner that same week. Coincidence? Definately not! Needless to say, we have been blessed any other time we go above our normal tithe!