Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Epiphany, of a different sort

The dark side of international adoption...read this article.

The Lie We Love

I was going to post something about how today is Epiphany. A day of revealing. Well, the above article reveals some uncomfortable truths about adoption-- sort of a "dark" epiphany.

I am glad Korea was not implicated in any illegal baby-buying schemes, but I'm not naive enough to think it couldn't happen there too. I have actually read some stories by Korean adoptees who have been lied to, whose birth mothers were lied to, and it's sobering. All that we can know about our kids' beginnings is controlled by the adoption agency. I trusted them, and I still trust them - but there is always the small chance that some details were not quite right, or were left out, especially when money is involved.

Makes you think.

No comments: