Thursday, March 18, 2010

Poop update - read at your own risk

Sam actually pooped in the potty on Tuesday, for the first time!

My elation was short-lived, though. Ten minutes later he pooped more, but in his pants. Poor kid is always having near-diarrhea. He has ALWAYS been this way. In the past week I have taken him to two social events and had to change his poopy pants 2 or 3 times in one hour. Almost everywhere we take him he poops. And I don't think I've ever taken him to McDonald's without him pooping. Something about those playland tubes is very intestinally stimulating to him.

So I asked my pediatrician brother what to do to make his stools firmer and he said take away all juice and limit him to maintenance fluids. (He currently is allowed 8 oz of juice per day, and likes to drink a lot of water. He doesn't drink milk of any kind.) Buzz is so awesome, he even calculated Sam's maintenance fluids on the spot: 40 oz a day. But Bryan remains unconvinced. He doesn't want to take away the juice. I can't imagine why Bryan resisted this idea, especially directly after cleaning up Sam twice in one restaurant meal. In fact, immediately after we had this enlightening conversation about the juice, Bryan gave Sam a juice popsicle at home. Men.

Anyway, I am still trying to convince him to give Sam a couple of juice-free weeks. Wish me luck. If this makes the difference it will be a very happy thing.

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

Glad you have found something that has worked...now for getting something that will work to get the other half on board!

Tammy said...

Sounds like a great idea to take him off juice and reduce his fluids. Annoying that Bryan won't cooperate. MEN indeed....grrrrr!!!

Kim said...

Sweet Sam. He's got a very nice, clean colon! If it's any consolation (eh, er Bryan), our family has been juice free for four years. There are far more nutritious ways to get your fruit than through juice -- such as eating the actual fruit :) -- and I personally reserve juice for sick children who need extra incentive to stay hydrated.

Have you tried bananas to help bulk his stool? These days, we're loving almond milk blended with frozen banana, vanilla and unsweetened cocoa.

Hunca Munca said...

Kim - thanks for the encouragement. If it were up to me, I would never have juice in the house, but a certain someone feels it is necessary. I feel the same way you do about the nutritional aspect, but luckily our kids eat a lot of fruit so I'm not too worried about it. We just stocked up on bananas too! The frozen banana idea sounds marvelous - thanks for the idea!