Friday, April 27, 2007

mom's day off

Today, I did something I bet most moms fantasize about but never (or rarely) do: I took an entire day off. No kids, no housework, no chores. I actually planned it a couple weeks ago. I arranged for child care and dropped the kids off about 9:30 in the morning. Then I went to the local bookstore, bought a big latte, and immersed myself in a novel (Snow Flower and the Secret Fan). I spent a good part of the day there. The rest of the day I played on the computer, talked on the phone, and bought groceries (without kids yammering in the cart and pulling things off the shelves). All in all, a very satisfactory day!

As good as this felt, I feel a little guilty. It felt so decadent to spend the whole day on ME, doing what I like. But still, I had a great time! I think the fact that I'm working and earning money helps me justify the cost. And when I picked up the kids at 5 p.m., they were happy. We took them to McDonald's for dinner and then got their portraits taken at Sears, and they were happy, well behaved, fun to be with, and I thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

So - you moms out there - how often have you done this? What did you do on your day off?

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Welcome to the world of the military spouse with children! When our hubby's are gone, that is what keeps us sane! Every mom needs to have a time out from everyday life and have some time just for herself. Selfish? A little, but in the long run it makes for a happier mom and happier kids. It teaches all of them to be away from one another, and it shows the kids that mom needs time to herself too. Every Tuesday night I have tap dancing class. I started it when Ian was gone show I'd have adult conversations at least once a week without children around, and have continued it.

I am going to need a whole day soon though...with out move coming up, there is much to be done and a well-rested and relaxed Mommavia is going to make it a bit easier to get through it all. Who wants to drive from ocean to ocean with a stressed out wife? Not too many husbands I think!