Thursday, June 2, 2011

things I wish I'd learned in Kindergarten

Alex's kindergarten class recited this prayer from memory at their kindergarten graduation.

I didn't realize they had been saying it at the beginning of each school day all year. Even so, it was impressive to hear them say this in unison, with their heads bowed and eyes closed:

"In the name of God the Father,
in the name of God the Son,
in the name of God the Spirit,
Praises to the Holy One.

I thank you, heavenly Father, through your dear son Jesus Christ, that you have graciously kept me this night from all harm and danger. And I pray that you would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings in life may please you. For into your hand I commend myself, my body and soul and all things. Let your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen."
Isn't that beautiful?

What if we all started our days with such a prayer...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely prayer, one I certainly could use every day. Thanks.

Mom said...

Wow! That's a great prayer and I wish I learned that in kindergarten too. My kindergarten class was 99% Jewish so I learned a prayer in Hebrew and had no idea what it meant.